From: Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] policy on case [in]sEnsiTiViTy to ebuild names
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 18:44:26
1 Christian Parpart wrote: [Thu Nov 25 2004, 05:49:25PM CST]
2 > I recently came into an issue of the ebuild names. usually I
3 > write them all lower case (that is: as-is), but recently, I
4 > run into packages to be submittet, that HavE different cAsEs.
5 > Namely the freedesktop's xlibs and xserver.
6 >
7 > In xlibs, there're packages called libXcomposite, libX11 etc..
8 > I'd like to preserve the case in portage, too since doing
9 > everything in lowercase doesn't really enheance readability
10 > overall, and we already have (especially on dev-perl) packages
11 > that also have upper-cases anyway.
12 >
13 > So, what's the policy on it?
14
15 As the developer handbook states: "[the package name] should contain
16 lowercase letters, the digits 0-9, and any number of single hyphen,
17 underscore, or plus characters. [...] We have some packages in Portage
18 that don't follow these rules, but _your_ packages should".
19
20 The long-standing policy is, indeed, that all package names should be
21 lowercase, and a bit of of bash trickery, MY_P=${P/FooBar/foobar}, makes
22 following this policy pretty straightforward. Perl packages are an
23 (unwritten) exception to this rule mainly for historical reasons.
24
25 Hope that helps,
26 g2boojum
27 --
28 Grant Goodyear
29 Gentoo Developer
30 g2boojum@g.o
31 http://www.gentoo.org/~g2boojum
32 GPG Fingerprint: D706 9802 1663 DEF5 81B0 9573 A6DC 7152 E0F6 5B76