From: "Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò" <flameeyes@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Replacing cpu-feature USE flags
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2006 14:16:01
1 On Friday 07 July 2006 15:53, Martin Schlemmer wrote:
2 > Check Chris Gianelloni's mail just now.  For some compilers with some
3 > -march's on x86 it did not explicitly turn on some features (or maybe
4 > not to such a high extend).
5 Uh no, I think he meant that for some borderline processors there's not
6 a -march value, like for Athlon64 Revision D, that has sse3 support. In those
7 cases you have to use -msse3 or whatever else to tell the compiler what to
8 generate.
9
10 > So where say CFLAGS="-march=pentium3" would
11 > work, CFLAGS="-march=pentium3 -msse" would fail to build, or generate
12 > bad code (segfaulting binaries).
13 This might have been true with _older_ GCC, but all the series 3.3, 3.4, 4.0
14 and 4.1 behaves correctly: -march=pentium3 implies -msse without doubt.
15
16 What you might incorrectly remember is -mfpmath=sse that is totally another
17 thing, and dies usually on bad code anyway, and it's enabled by default on
18 64-bit CPUs just because on there the 80-bit limit for doubles is not
19 pertinent anymore.
20
21 I might seem an idiot, but I have enough experience to know what I'm talking
22 about. Seems instead that other people confuse SEGFAULT with SIGILL and -msse
23 with -mfpmath=sse (or simply remember just what happened with GCC 3.2).
24
25 A little note here: tools improve. GCC 2.95 was a joke, GCC 3.0, 3.1 were
26 almost unusable, 3.2 started to be usable but full of problems, 3.3/3.4
27 series improved, drastically.
28 Stuff like visibility is badly broken up to 4.0, but works fine on 4.1. You
29 cannot think that a flag or a support will always be broken because a release
30 had it broken, you have to watch what you're doing to do it correctly.
33 Diego "Flameeyes" Pettenò - http://farragut.flameeyes.is-a-geek.org/
34 Gentoo/Alt lead, Gentoo/FreeBSD, Video, AMD64, Sound, PAM, KDE