From: Sean Mitchell <SMitchell@×××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: "'gentoo-dev@g.o'" <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: RE: [gentoo-dev] Point of fact.
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2002 12:24:38
1 >> I like grub, but I've had much more success with lilo.
2
3 > I find this interesting, because grub in situations *without* a
4 > separate /boot partition is super-easy! I've never run it in
5 > any other way. In the menu.lst, just have everything refer
6 > to /boot/<kernel> and so on, (because that is where it *is*),
7 > and use root (hd0,0) (actually, for you, (hd4,0), right?)
8
9 It's the second drive, master on my HPT370 controller. The first drive is
10 master on the chipset IDE controller. I have tried root (hd0,0), (hd1,0),
11 (hd3,0) and (hd4,0).
12
13 Contrary to what has been implied in other posts I have RTFM (I used to run
14 OpenBSD before Gentoo) and haven't had any success on my ABIT KT7.
15
16 I have grub working quite nicely on my laptop and on my server. FWIW I also
17 have DJBDNS and Qmail running quite nicely on the server as well......
18
19 I'm not opposed to grub in any way, I simply have not had the same degree of
20 success with it as I have with lilo. And judging from the number of posts
21 here on the topic I am by no means alone in this.
22
23 The original poster to whom I replied seemed to question why anyone would
24 possibly want to run anything other than grub, so I was trying to help him
25 out.
26
27 Sean