From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] QA Team's role
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 18:08:06
1 On Tue, 2006-02-28 at 17:38 +0000, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > Sheesh, you'll probably claim that this isn't broken next too:
3 >
4 > if [ "${IS_UPGRADE}" = "1" ] ; then
5 > einfo "Removing old version ${REMOVE_PKG}"
6 >
7 > emerge -C "${REMOVE_PKG}"
8 > fi
9 Ciaran,
10 (and this is valid for all emails to technical lists,)
11 please save us some time and many emails by stating what is wrong when
12 you show a QA violation.
13 Many among us don't think in assembler and don't know enough about the
14 code to decide if/why something is wrong. This in turn causes someone
15 (like me) to send an email asking what is wrong, causing another reply
16 by you etc. etc.
17
18 It's a bit like me stating:
19 "The bug is in line 14:
20 i+=2
21 "
22 If you don't know the code you won't understand why.
23
24 Now if I said "line 14 increments by two, but then you won't ever get
25 out of the loop since the exit condition won't be met" everyone could
26 understand it and evaluate my statement.
27
28 If you show a wrong code snippet please explain _why_ it is wrong in the
29 same email.
30
31 Thanks,
32
33 Patrick
36 Stand still, and let the rest of the universe move