From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Current Gentoo Git setup / man-in-the-middle attacks
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2015 18:20:08
1 On Sun, Mar 29, 2015 at 1:52 PM, Sebastian Pipping <sping@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 29.03.2015 19:39, Andrew Savchenko wrote:
3 >> On Sun, 29 Mar 2015 18:41:33 +0200 Sebastian Pipping wrote:
4 >>> So I would like to propose that
5 >>>
6 >>> * support for Git access through https:// is activated,
7 >>>
8 >>> * Git access through http:// and git:// is deactivated, and
9 >>
10 >> Some people have https blocked. http:// and git:// must be
11 >> available read-only.
12 >
13 > They would not do online banking over http, right? Why would they run
14 > code with root privileges from http?
17 I don't see the point in disabling it. Certainly we should support
18 ssl though. If people want to obtain their code over http they should
19 be permitted to do so. Even without using ssl it is easy to just
20 check that your commit hash is correct and it becomes as tamper-proof
21 as sha1 (tell me again why the scm of the future is still using
22 sha1?).
25 Rich