From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: GLEP 64: Standardize contents of VDB and establish and API for exporting this information.
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2014 15:14:05
1 On Sun, 31 Aug 2014 11:08:27 -0400
2 "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o> wrote:
3 > On 08/31/14 11:02, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
4 > > On Sun, 31 Aug 2014 10:56:21 -0400
5 > > "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o> wrote:
6 > >> I'd give you a link to git.gentoo.org/proj/elfix as a concrete
7 > >> example, but the site is still down.
8 > > Are you emulating all the workarounds for reading previously-written
9 > > invalid data in there? Because if not, you're reading what you want
10 > > VDB to contain, not what it actually does...
11 > >
12 > > Remember, VDB's format isn't specified anywhere, so if you claim you
13 > > can read it, you must be able to read whatever it contains, and you
14 > > can't claim that (for example) rogue 'stat' entries in CONTENTS are
15 > > a bug.
16 > >
17 > I'm reading portage's code.
18
19 Which version? Note that Portage can't read the VDB entries generated
20 by certain other Portage versions.
21
22 > I do not understand why you oppose the standardization of VDB?
23
24 If you would like to standardise VDB, I suggest you start by doing a
25 decent job of solving that problem, and not just jumping in and yelling
26 about how important it is that some particular file is in there.
29 Ciaran McCreesh