From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] g-cpan
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 01:26:41
1 On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 01:40:56AM +0200, Benny Pedersen wrote:
2 > > Probably sounds a bit archaic, but I've gotten used to it, g-cpan and
3 > > everything else that's existed seemed to explode too often for my liking.
4 > it worked before, but not much perl in gentoo is any longer maintained :/
5 What gives you that idea? The perl herd is probably one of the least
6 often outdated packages of all of Gentoo, because of the ease of trivial
7 bumps.
8
9 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/perl/outdated-cpan-packages.xml
10 Updated every 6 hours if there are changes in upstream CPAN.
11
12 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/perl/outdated-cpan-packages-perl-experimental.xml
13 Updated irregularly, but often.
14
15 http://dev.gentoo.org/~robbat2/scripts/perl-bump-0.5.sh
16 Tool for bumping Perl packages, not perfect, but works 99% of the time.
17
18 > hope this will change to the better, i am still at gentoo, but if devs run
19 > away from it to deb/rpm systems then i have to also :/
20 > g-cpan -g Mail::SPF
21 This is one of those cases where upstream's version numbering never made
22 g-cpan work in the first place.
23
24 The generated ebuilds needed the following added:
25 MY_P="${PN}-v${PV}"
26 S="${WORKDIR}/${MY_P}"
27
28 I generated the ebuilds with my copy of g-cpan, available here:
29 http://dev.gentoo.org/~robbat2/scripts/g-cpan-robbat2-20090609
30 And they are committed now too.
33 Robin Hugh Johnson
34 Gentoo Linux Developer & Infra Guy
35 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
36 GnuPG FP : 11AC BA4F 4778 E3F6 E4ED F38E B27B 944E 3488 4E85