From: R Hill <dirtyepic.sk@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Moving GCC-3.4 to stable on x86
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 23:20:43
1 Daniel Gryniewicz wrote:
2 > On Mon, 2005-11-28 at 19:12 +0100, Bjarke Istrup Pedersen wrote:
3 >
4 >> Does this mean that we can get rid of the libstd++ dependency of gcc,
5 >> and move it to the binary packages that depends on gcc 3.3 .
6 >> I know this has been discussed before, but once it's stable I see no
7 >> reason to keep the dependency in the gcc ebuild, when it could be in the
8 >> binary packages.
11 > Well, right after the upgrade, there will still be tons of non-binary
12 > programs built against the old libstdc++, so no. Unless you want to
13 > force everyone to emerge -e world after the upgrade (which will make you
14 > very unpopular).
15
16 Everybody _should_ be doing emerge -e world after the upgrade. :P
17
18 But moving the libstdc++-v3 dep from gcc to packagefoo-bin would cause breakage
19 for anyone who tries to run binary packages built against gcc 3.3 and not
20 installed through portage. Firefox nightlies come to mind.
23 --de.
26 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list