From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 55 updated
Date: Sun, 17 May 2009 20:21:06
1 On Sun, 17 May 2009 21:57:40 +0200
2 Thomas de Grenier de Latour <tom.gl@××××.fr> wrote:
3 > On 2009/05/17, Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> wrote:
4 > > You don't define it quite like that. You define it by mapping EAPI X
5 > > _p onto super-EAPI _p0, and EAPI Y _p onto super_EAPI _pINFINITY.
6 > > That way the ordering's well defined.
7 >
8 > I understand the idea, but I still don't think it's viable to allow
9 > such definitions, because there are too many contexts in which we
10 > manipulate pure version strings, without decorating them with an EAPI,
11 > and without reference to a concrete package from which we could get
12 > it. Take ">=bar/foo-1_p" as an "emerge" command line argument for
13 > instance, is my foo-1_p1.ebuild a candidate?
14
15 Conceptually, you'd define a 'user' EAPI for those things, so you can
16 define it any way you want (including in such a way that the _p thing
17 works both ways depending upon the EAPI used for creating the thing
18 you're comparing it to -- for the user EAPI, you'd define it as being
19 _pUNSPECIFIED rather than _p0 or _pINFINITY and use the other side of
20 the comparison to decide the result). But yes, if you do something
21 silly like your example, things get very complicated.
22
23 > > > As a consequence, the algorithm for picking best version of a
24 > > > package can be as simple as the following:
25 > > > 1- among all ebuilds filenames, filter out the ones with
26 > > > unrecognized version string
27 > >
28 > > You don't know whether you recognise the version string until you
29 > > know the EAPI, though.
30 >
31 > Under my previously stated restrictions, you know:
32 > - which one can be rejected for sure (the ones not recognized by any
33 > of your implemented EAPI).
34 > - how to correctly order the remaining ones (even the incorrect ones
35 > which may remain and would be rejected only at step 4), and thus
36 > where to start to find the "best" correct one.
37
38 Your previously stated restrictions are too strong, though. And when it
39 turns out a future change breaks those restrictions, we'd be back to
40 yet another extension change.
43 Ciaran McCreesh