From: Spider <spider@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] kdemultimedia-3.0-r1 doesn't build :(
Date: Sat, 11 May 2002 16:39:18
1 begin quote
2 On Sat, 11 May 2002 00:55:09 -0500
3 Avi Schwartz <avi@×××××××××××××××.com> wrote:
4
5 > This brings up a much larger question: why did gentoo switch to 0.9
6 > before major packages like KDE3's kdemultimedia was ready for this
7 > version of Alsa?
8 <quote source=www.alsa-project.org>
9 *** N.B. The 0.5.x series is considered deprecated and is no longer
10 supported by ALSA developers ***
11 </quote>
14 the last time they updated the alsa 0.5.x libraries was:
15 2000-12-07 The ALSA packages version 0.5.10 wer
18 I would call this branch "OUTDATED" ..... the 0.9 interface has been
19 around since 2001-02-21 thats more than a year advance and allowance
20 to adopt to the new codebase. I'd say this was plenty of time for all
21 project maintainers to get the know of the new libraries and support it.
24 So, the code has been around. should we really have waited for another
25 year using old, slightly broken and buggy codebase that was completely
26 unsupported by the developers and where the drivers werent updated? I
27 dont think that would be a good thing in the long run.
30 //Spider
36 begin .signature
37 This is a .signature virus! Please copy me into your .signature!
39 end