From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] gentoo-x86 tree cleanup for 'DESCRIPTION ends with a '.' character' warnings
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2014 16:24:31
1 On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 09:26:07AM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
2
3 *snip*
4
5 > Yeah, at best this seems a bit trivial. Do we have a policy that
6 > descriptions aren't allowed to be complete sentences? Many of our
7 > developers are not native English speakers in the first place, so
8 > striving for grammatical perfection is a bit optimistic. On top of
9 > that, repoman certainly isn't a native English speaker, so expecting
10 > it to achieve grammatical perfection is a really tall order. And
11 > please don't suggest making languagetool a dependency for portage...
12
13 No, we do not have, and there has been no request for, a qa policy that
14 requires description to not end with a '.'. Also, it is not documented
15 in the devmanual. So, it appears that this warning was put in place
16 without involving the QA team at all.
17
18 William