From: Caleb Tennis <caleb@g.o>
To: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] kde 3.2 beta2
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 15:31:44
1 On Wednesday 28 July 2004 09:41 am, Patrick Lauer wrote:
2 > On Wed, 2004-07-28 at 15:53, Caleb Tennis wrote:
3 > > I didn't intend for it to be package.mask'd - it's quite stable,
4 >
5 > I'd like to disagree: Bug 58527
6 > Konqueror is consistently segfaulting on my machine, so I'd like to keep
7 > 3.3_beta masked until 3.3 final arrives.
8 > 3.3 is still a beta, so pushing it in ~x86 seems like a very strange
9 > decision to me. ~x86 is for unstable _ebuilds_, not unstable packages as
10 > far as I know.
11
12 Because it consistently segfaults on your machine is no reason to keep it
13 masked - in fact, it works quite well for me and a large number of users or I
14 never would have considered it. Quite likely something else is going on. A
15 backtrace with debugging info would be helpful to solve it.
16
17 > What's the policy on this?
18 > As much as I like bleeding edge stuff, I'd like to keep the bleeding as
19 > small as possible :-)
20
21 It's far from bleeding edge - the features are frozen and it's namely just bug
22 fixes at this point. If anyone disagrees simply because the package name
23 contains the word "beta", then please come at me with more hard evidence.
24
25 I assume that vapier thought I "forgot" to package.mask it, so he did it for
26 me, and this is why I unmasked it without throwing too much of a fuss.
27
28 So, let's be productive here and use the time between now and the final
29 release to get the ebuilds and dependencies fixed, make sure things work
30 well, and hammer out bugs. If you still feel like it's too unstable to use,
31 then simply don't use it. :)
32
33 Caleb
36 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list