From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] FW: rsync etiquette follow-up
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 21:15:59
1 On Mon, May 12, 2003 at 04:56:37PM +0100, Stuart Herbert wrote:
2 > I know that I could run an rsync mirror just for internal use - and that
3 > would help a lot.
4
5 I also recommend it from the moment you have 2 boxes, since it will provide
6 you with the most optimal synchronous Portage stage on both boxes.
7
8 > Running a distfiles mirror is a lot less practical. It
9 > would be much better if there was a way to share '/usr/portage' across
10 > multiple machines. You can't do this safely via NFS. If two machines try
11 > to download the same distfile at the same time, they interfere with each
12 > other.
13
14 There are several ways. I personally have /usr/portage/distfiles NFS-exported
15 and _read-only_. I have also set FETCH_COMMAND in /etc/make.conf to something
16 similar to the following:
17
18 FETCHCOMMAND="/usr/bin/ssh -l portage niandra /usr/bin/wget -O
19 \${DISTDIR}/\${FILE} \${URI}"
20
21 This will log in into niandra (my testbox) and use wget to download the
22 source and place it into niandra:/usr/portage/distfiles, which is NFS
23 exported.
24
25 I say "similar" since I'm actually using a C-program, but the above should
26 work.
27
28 Wkr,
29 Sven Vermeulen
32 Thanks to DRM, you know that something has been built in environment of
33 unspecified degree of security, from source you cannot check, written by
34 programmers you don't know, released after passing QA of unknown quality and
35 which is released under a license that disclaims any responsibility...