From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] FW: rsync etiquette follow-up
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 21:15:59
On Mon, May 12, 2003 at 04:56:37PM +0100, Stuart Herbert wrote:
> I know that I could run an rsync mirror just for internal use - and that > would help a lot.
I also recommend it from the moment you have 2 boxes, since it will provide you with the most optimal synchronous Portage stage on both boxes.
> Running a distfiles mirror is a lot less practical. It > would be much better if there was a way to share '/usr/portage' across > multiple machines. You can't do this safely via NFS. If two machines try > to download the same distfile at the same time, they interfere with each > other.
There are several ways. I personally have /usr/portage/distfiles NFS-exported and _read-only_. I have also set FETCH_COMMAND in /etc/make.conf to something similar to the following: FETCHCOMMAND="/usr/bin/ssh -l portage niandra /usr/bin/wget -O \${DISTDIR}/\${FILE} \${URI}" This will log in into niandra (my testbox) and use wget to download the source and place it into niandra:/usr/portage/distfiles, which is NFS exported. I say "similar" since I'm actually using a C-program, but the above should work. Wkr, Sven Vermeulen -- Thanks to DRM, you know that something has been built in environment of unspecified degree of security, from source you cannot check, written by programmers you don't know, released after passing QA of unknown quality and which is released under a license that disclaims any responsibility...