From: Doug Goldstein <cardoe@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 27 Bump
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 06:02:48
1 On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 7:35 PM, Robin H. Johnson <robbat2@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 09:25:45AM +0200, Petteri Räty wrote:
3 >> Doug Goldstein wrote:
4 >> > GLEP 27 [1] seems pretty stagnant and I'm planning on giving it a bit
5 >> > of a refresh and actually implementing it. Now before I do this I'm
6 >> > not in love with the format in tree but I haven't decided on a format
7 >> > exactly in my head. So that being said, I'm sending this out looking
8 >> > for some opinions or ideas for my new GLEP. One of the obvious things
9 >> > I'll cover is all the ambiguity of the GLEP with regard to the data
10 >> > inside each of the files.
11 >> >
12 >> > [1] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/glep/glep-0027.html
13 >> One idea worth considering is making users just ebuilds with a
14 >> supporting eclass.
15 > While I'm hugely in favour of having consistent UID/GIDs with no
16 > conflicts over all Gentoo machines, I feel one of the reasons that the
17 > GLEP failed was that users required by ebuilds changed over ebuild
18 > versions, and the GLEP didn't seem to handle that well.
19 >
20 > Cases I've seen in the tree:
21 > - username change (slocate -> locate)
22 > - homedir change
23 > - shell change
26 Which would seem to mean that Petteri's suggestion would work better
27 since that would allow us to version/upgrade user/group data.
32 Doug Goldstein