From: Matthieu Sozeau <mattam@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: New global USE flag: examples
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 15:38:00
1 On Monday 23 August 2004 16:36, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > On Monday 23 August 2004 08:30 am, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
3 > > I disagree with you. Documentation is very different from example
4 > > applications and the like. The java herd is not the only group having
5 > > problems with this. Look for example at the formidable example collection
6 > > provided in qt. In most cases it is not necessary at all to compile them
7 > > all (take quite some time), while developer docs might be interesting.
8 >
9 > doc works fine if you consider the context ...
10 >
11 > USE=doc [some programming language] -> i get a lot of programming related
12 > documentation
13 USE="doc examples" [some programming language] -> i get the language ref
14 manual and library docs + some example programs if provided.
15
16 > USE=doc [some program] -> i get a lot of manuals and extraneous things
17 USE="doc examples" [some program] -> i get a lot of manuals and some sample
18 documents (could be used in Dia for example).
19
20 USE=doc [some library] -> i get the API docs
21 USE="doc examples" -> ^^^ + example code/apps
22
23 You seem to see it too fine-grained, but there are people who want API docs
24 but not example code (I am a living example). USE flags are about
25 flexibility, aren't they ? Micheal says there is no need, that's true, but
26 some people wish this USE flag existed so they could have more control on
27 what's installed.
28 --
29 "We have art to save ourselves from the truth."
30 - Friedrich Nietzsche