From: Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] About suggesting to create a separate partition for portage tree in handbook
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 20:18:38
1 On 28 March 2012 08:57, Richard Yao <ryao@×××××××××××××.edu> wrote:
2 >
3 > Could we amend this to also include the benefits of ZFS and why you
4 > would want to use XFS or reiserfs instead of ext{2,3,4} as your
5 > filesystem in situations where ZFS is not yet appropriate (e.g. using it
6 > on Gentoo stable)? We could also include documentation on Reiser4 while
7 > we are at it.
8
9 Thats probably asking a bit much, I've done my experimenting with
10 XFS/reiserfs , the benefits aren't that substantial to be worth the
11 hassle of the negatives. And as for Reiser4, if there's any
12 documentation mentioning that I think it being simply "Don't use
13 Reiser4" adequate enough.
14
15 Noob Level: Just Use Ext4
16 Intermediate: Just Use Ext4, use Ext3 or 2 if you want more something
17 else, but ext4 should do the trick
18 Advanced: Entertain the ideas of XFS/reiser if you want, but you're
19 not likely going to see a *lot* of difference over ext4 on its own
20 partition. Not in the long term.
21
22 I used to advocate JFS, but long term experience with it taught me JFS
23 is fast for new file systems, and gets progressively slower over time.
24 The original IBM JFS had a defrag tool nobody managed to port to Linux
25 so JFS just gets crufty and stays that way.
29 Kent
30
31 perl -e  "print substr( \"edrgmaM  SPA NOcomil.ic\\@tfrken\", \$_ * 3,
32 3 ) for ( 9,8,0,7,1,6,5,4,3,2 );"