From: Steven J Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Re: The fallacies of GLEP55
Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 20:42:31
1 David Leverton wrote:
2
3 > On Friday 15 May 2009 21:06:13 Steven J Long wrote:
4 >> In practical terms, this is a useless proposal. It rightly got trashed
5 >> last year.
6 >
7 > No, it did not get "trashed", despite some people's attempts to make their
8 > side sound more popular than it really is.
9
10 Yes there's a lot of that about.
11
12 > Some people like the idea, some don't, and people have put forward
13 > various arguments in both directions.
14 Well that adds a lot. Suffice to say that some people not only dislike the
15 idea but actually think it's a massively retrograde step, going as it does
16 against basic Software Engineering principles some of us have seen the
17 reason for at the coalface. (You know, where there are real consequences to
18 getting things wrong, that will affect your real-life, your home and your
19 family.)
20
21 > If it were really as widely hated as you claim (presumably with the
22 > implication that the people who still support it are horrible and evil for
23 > even thinking about it)
24 Hmm way to go putting thoughts in my head that aren't there. I realise
25 you're very good at couching your assertions in language that can later be
26 denied, but that only really works in this situation. Try it in the
27 workplace and see how far you get.
28
29 > then it wouldn't still be under discussion.
30 Or alternatively, some people just can't take 'no' for an answer, and
31 conceding even one flaw is too much for someone's ego, especially in the
32 conduct of what appears to be a concerted campaign to get Gentoo to
33 admit they were "wrong" to take whatever action they took so many years ago.
34 (Only not in so many words. Apparently, ceding control of the direction of
35 all future innovation will suffice to heal the wound.)
38 #friendly-coders -- We're friendly but we're not /that/ friendly ;-)