From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [news item review] bash-completion-2.1-r90, version 2
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2014 12:32:45
1 Dnia 2014-11-11, o godz. 11:21:00
2 Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> napisał(a):
3
4 > Michał Górny posted on Tue, 11 Nov 2014 11:03:03 +0100 as excerpted:
5 >
6 > > Dnia 2014-11-11, o godz. 09:53:58 Marc Schiffbauer <mschiff@g.o>
7 > > napisał(a):
8 > >
9 > >> * Michał Górny schrieb am 10.11.14 um 22:18 Uhr:
10 > >> >Hello, developers.
11 > >> >
12 > >> >I'm planning to commit this news item before >=2.1-r90 goes stable.
13 > >> >I have rewritten the message to be more user-oriented like Rich
14 > >> >suggested (big thanks to you!) and added a paragraph about loading
15 > >> >bashcomp in bashrc.
16 > >> >
17 > >> >Please review.
18 > >>
19 > >> Looks good to me, but to remove "stale symlinks" you need to add the -L
20 > >> option to find. Or write just "symlinks", because like this it will
21 > >> remove *all* symlinks.
22 > >
23 > > Well, the meaning was 'all symlinks since they are stale now'. I will
24 > > try to reword it.
25 >
26 > Note that some users (including me) have symlinks in
27 > /etc/bash_completion.d/ that point to their own completions in
28 > /usr/local/share/bash_completion/ or the like.
29
30 If you do custom stuff like this, you already know enough to understand
31 the consequences of removing the symlinks. You were on your own
32 already, so don't expect that we're going to start holding your hand
33 now.
34
35 > But, the symlinks pointing to my completions in /usr/local are most
36 > assuredly *NOT* stale, neither will remerging anything make them so.
37 >
38 > So I don't want to remove those symlinks, or I'd lose the connection to
39 > my own completions (presuming the normal bash completion doesn't look in
40 > /usr/local/share/bash_completion for them... I never claimed I to be a
41 > bash-completion wizard, only to have hacked up something that seems to
42 > work, and I want it to STAY working).
43
44 Of course, you could have asked for proper /usr/local support... but
45 why? It's easier to hack things around then complain.
46
47 > So if indeed all installed symlinks should be stale at that point, then
48 > the suggested -L -type l -delete would be a good change, as it wouldn't
49 > remove any non-stale symlinks users had put there themselves.
50
51 People who installed bash-completion after 27.08 have all completions
52 in completionsdir already. For them, the symlinks will still be valid
53 yet unnecessary.
56 Best regards,
57 Michał Górny