From: Grant Goodyear <goodyea@×××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] bootstrap failure and documentation segestions
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 08:15:33
1 > When doing a source only build without precompiled binaries there is no
2 > package information in portage/pakages/ALL (or similar path). The
3 > current version of emerge then dies with an esoteric error and does
4 > nothing. Removing the "--usepkg" causes emerge to then function
5 > properly. Since the documentation reads "...use it if available" I
6 > consider this behavior a bug in emerge. Proposed/suggested fix: if
7 > file not found, trap error and run as if --usepkg not given as argument.
8
9 That's definitely a bug; --usepkg should be entirely transparent to
10 the user. Please post a bug at bugs.gentoo.org, if you would.
11
12 > the install documentation is involved enough that I went ahead and
13 > printed it out ahead of time, took notes from my current configuration,
14 > and began install. The fixed width of the documentation causes a number
15 > of annoyances with viewing. While this is not a big problem for me it
16 > can cause problems with low res monitors (for old machines) and browsers
17 > in large font mode (necessary for visually impaired). The problem I had
18 > is that the text is roughly 0.5" wider than a standard printed page, and
19 > some of the instructions were almost rendered unintelligible do to the
20 > missing, unprinted, information. suggested fix: make browser/printer
21 > friendly version(s) and possibly conform to W3C formatting guidelines.
22
23 It's bug #222, which we've had for a while. I know that somebody was
24 working on converting our xml to pdf, but I think that project proved
25 overly truculant. It's not our first priority right now, but we are
26 working on it. Any help would be gratefully appreciated!
27
28 -g2boojum-