From: Sebastian Pipping <webmaster@××××××××.org>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Cc: majeru@××××××.ro, evermind@×××××××××.org
Subject: [gentoo-dev] [rfc] repo_name/layman-global.txt overlay name mismatches
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2009 23:59:07
1 Hello!
4 Intro
5
6 For the gentoo-specific part of smolt [1] that's in the making we
7 collect stats on what package is installed and what overlay it comes
8 from. Which tree/overlay it came from is determined by reading file
9 /var/db/pkg/${CATEGORY}/${PF}/repository. The name in there comes
10 from file profiles/repo_name originally.
11 In smolt we match repo names from the 'repository' file against
12 overlay names from layman-global.txt to check if an overlay is known
13 worldwide or could be a secret overlay that we should not submit
14 information about.
17 Problem
18
19 When the name from repo_name and the overlay name in layman-global.txt
20 do not match smolt would assume the overlay is secret though it's not
21 and not be able to send in stats about it.
24 Examples:
25
26 oss-overlay != majeru
27 pro-audio != proaudio
30 Proposal
31
32 - Make repo_name file fit layman-global.txt entry where it doesn't
33 match at the moment
34
35 - People with that overlay installed do not have to change
36 anything, no "where did that overlay go" mails or aynthing
37
38 - Upstream needs to be convinced to fix it
39
40 - For packages installed from that overlay the file
41 'repository' will not update until the a re-installation
42
43 - Make in-sync repo_name a requirement for extending
44 layman-global.txt
48 Sebastian