From: Karl Trygve Kalleberg <karltk@×××××××.no>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] writing ebuild scripts
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2002 10:03:39
1 On 08 Mar 2002 03:43:13 +0100
2 Erik Grinaker <erikg@××××××××××××××.net> wrote:
3
4 > - What is the best way to determine dependencies for a file, and how
5 > important is it to have minimum version info for dependencies? Unless I
6 > find any info in the docs, would common sense and a quick peek at
7 > configure-scripts/makefiles ot the source suffice?
8
9 Yes. If all else fails, you could just default to the version you're
10 actually building it against. It is very unlikely that we'll add older
11 versions to the tree anyway.
12
13 > - What is the best way to install built files? Using make install or
14 > using the dobin/doman/whatever scripts? ...which brings me on to the
15 > next question ;
16
17 make install is preferrable. Make certain that it actually installs into
18 ${D} at this stage, by either adding DESTDIR=${D} or prefix=${D}/usr,
19 depending on which alternative the make files support.
20 > - Is there any database over what files belong to what package?
21
22 Yes, /var/db/pkg contains a lot of neat info. Look at each packages
23 CONTENTS file. The qpkg tool in gentoolkit is a nice, quick frontend to
24 much of the info in /var/db/pkg.
25
26 > - Do you have any policies for testing? Is it enough that I test the
27 > package on my own system, or should I have a clean installation (via
28 > chroot, usermode linux, dualboot or whatever) I can use for testing?
29
30 It is sufficient that it works on your installation. If you know you have
31 done something horribly weird to your install, let another Gentoo user
32 test it too.
33
34 In time, all ebuilds will be tested on our Tinderbox before being put into
35 the stable tree.
36
37 > - Should I work against cvs or the Bugzilla?
38
39 Not quite certain what you mean by this. Submit ebuilds through bugzilla,
40 preferrably as plain-text attachments to the enhancement request you're
41 filing. emerge rsync gives you exactly what's in CVS now (albeit with a
42 time-delay of a few minutes).
43
44 Kind regards,
45