From: Charles Marcus <CMarcus@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o, gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] System Recovery - New Core Functionality request...
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 14:53:01
1 Hi all,
2
3 I am sending this to both the User and Dev lists because I think it
4 requires consideration from both the developers and users. I hope no one
5 minds...
6
7 I want to see how anyone/everyone else feels about such an enhancement
8 request before I submit it formally...
9
10 Something that I have always wished for, whether on a Windows system or
11 Linux distro, is the native ability to *easily* (think 'brain-dead
12 simple') make an emergency bootable Recovery CD/DVD.
13
14 I think this should be simple for a good programmer, since all of the
15 parts are available under the GPL. If I were a programmer, this message
16 would be an announcement of an ebuild for just this purpose, but alas, I
17 am not.
18
19 So, here is my suggestion:
20
21 Create an ebuild - call it 'SysRecover' or whatever - that simply allows
22 one to create an emergency, bootable CD/DVD of their system. It should
23 be flexible enough to allow selection of any or all partitions.
24
25 I know that one who is capable can already set this up themselves, but
26 what I am talking about is something that requires ZERO configuration by
27 the one doing the install. Just 'emerge sysrecover', then issue the
28 appropriate command:
29
30 mksysrec -all
31 mksysrec -mycustom (where 'mycustom' is simply a text file with a list
32 of the partitions to be included)
33 mksysrec -/boot
34 mksysrec -/boot -/etc
35 you get the idea
36
37 Ultimately, I think this should be made a part of the core
38 functionality, but an ebuild would work just as well for my purposes.
39
40 Yhink of it... someone spend hours, days, or even weeks getting their
41 system(s) just the way they want it(them). This would enable them to
42 make a bootable snapshot any time they wanted to a CD/DVD, ultimately
43 doing so once they have it just the way they want it. Then they could
44 simply make updates whenever they make major changes, as well as make a
45 recovery CD before they do anything major to a production system.
46
47 Comments? Flames?
48
49 Charles