From: "Chris L. Mason" <clmason@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Non-root emerges
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 18:39:23
1 On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 19:50:13 +0200, Simon Stelling <blubb@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > Guys, it's not the idea of UNIX to install a software-package without
4 > root-access. Why do you want to install something without beeing root?
5
6 I'm not sure about some of the other posts, but that wasn't my
7 intention.  I believe the standard (and secure) UNIX way has always
8 been to compile stuff yourself (i.e. in your home directory) and then
9 su to root for the "make install".  Basically I was just looking for a
10 way to do that with emerge (i.e. calling "sudo" for the actual copy of
11 files into /).  That's what OpenBSD does, and they tend to set the
12 example in secure practises.
13
14 This should be easily doable without any kernel modules or other such magic.
17 Chris
20 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list