From: "Petteri Räty" <betelgeuse@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Eigen and GPL-2 exception - is a new licence required?
Date: Sat, 12 May 2007 13:01:07
1 Marcus D. Hanwell kirjoitti:
2 > There is a template library called Eigen I would like to add to the tree. It
3 > is a dependency of an application I would like to add shortly. It will also
4 > end up being a dependency of KDE 4 (for kalzium). My question relates to the
5 > licence the code is released under.
6 >
7 > It is licenced under the GNU GPL, version 2 or later with the following
8 > exception,
9 >
10 > // As a special exception, if other files instantiate templates or use macros
11 > // or inline functions from this file, or you compile this file and link it
12 > // with other works to produce a work based on this file, this file does not
13 > // by itself cause the resulting work to be covered by the GNU General Public
14 > // License. This exception does not invalidate any other reasons why a work
15 > // based on this file might be covered by the GNU General Public License.
16 >
17 > Please see http://eigen.tuxfamily.org/ for more details. My question is
18 > whether this requires a new licence to be added to the tree, listing it under
19 > GPL-2 and then installing a copy of the modified licence or something I have
20 > not thought of?
21 >
22 > Thanks,
23 >
24 > Marcus
25
26 dev-java/gnu-classpath has a similar exception and we have it in as
27 GPL-2-with-linking-exception so whatever we end up with it should be
28 done the same way for all ebuilds. As by default the licenses are anded
29 I guess we should go with "GPL-2 exception" as Carsten suggested.
30
31 Regards,
32 Petteri