From: Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Keeping older versions around
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2012 03:26:22
1 I've run into this three times today, so I'm a little grumpy. When you bump
2 to a new ~arch version, please consider keeping at least one previous ~arch
3 version around, so if people run into major issues they can at lease try the
4 previously installed version to determine if it's your package at fault.
5 Recent version bumps to two libraries have completely trashed a package I
6 maintain, and the only option for my users is downgrading them to stable,
7 which requires downgrading several other libraries. In both cases, the
8 previous ~arch version, which worked fine, was removed.
9
10 Personally I always try to keep two versions in ~arch and one stable,
11 excepting security or other major bugs that render an older version useless.
15 fonts, gcc-porting
16 toolchain, wxwidgets
17 @ gentoo.org