From: Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Dependencies on system packages
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 01:48:14
1 Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > Hrm, I thought I wrote about this a while ago but I don't see it on
4 > archives.g.o so lets try again.
5 >
6 > > If your package is 'not important' meaning it will never be in
7 > > 'system' for any profile, you should not depend on anything in
8 > > 'system', as
9 > stuff in system should already be installed in a given (sane)
10 > configuration.
11 > >
12 > > If your package may be in 'system' in a given profile, you need to
13 > ensure your package builds in the proper order, with regards to other
14 > system packages. The classic example is zlib; if you need zlib to
15 > uncompress something, then you should put zlib in the deps; that way
16 > when someone is building say, a stage1, your package will build after
17 > zlib, instead of before it.
18 > >
19 > > You have to be careful in deciding what to specify, as doing
20 > > things
21 > incorrectly in this case can often cause dependency loops which are
22 > sometimes fun to debug; perl and openssl were infamous back in the
23 > day for this.
24 > >
25 > > Enterprising users would specify the 'doc' useflag. openssl
26 > > requires
27 > perl to generate its docs and perl requires openssl for some
28 > encryption stuff. Users would then complain about perl or openssl
29 > not building, or portage getting really pissed at them; the solution
30 > being to build openssl twice, once with USE="-doc" and then build
31 > perl, and then rebuild openssl with USE="doc". This certainly wasn't
32 > the only case where this occurred (see ML thread about shadow and
33 > it's dep on some other package I can't remember, although that was a
34 > while back as well).
35 > >
36 > > In conclusion, you need domain knowledge of system packages and
37 > portage behavior to make good choices here ;)
38 >
39 > Wow that pasted nastily; hopefully it shows up ok ;)
40 >
41 > In any case I'm sure there are some other exceptions but these are
42 > the main ones.
43
44 Cool, that's exactly what I was looking for.
45
46 thanks ;d