From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] epatch: reject patches with relative paths
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2010 07:48:52
1 On Friday, December 31, 2010 02:02:40 Robin H. Johnson wrote:
2 > On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 12:17:26AM -0500, Mike Frysinger wrote:
3 > > http://dev.gentoo.org/~vapier/clean-patches
4 >
5 > Nice document. Just two contradictory points that I've noticed been
6 > useful:
7 > 1. Sometimes I've been given patches without information as to which
8 > version they apply to. The timestamp on the --- line was critical to
9 > tracing that, because it matched the source timestamp in the SCM.
10
11 i wouldnt say it's contradictory ... if my advice was followed, this sleuthing
12 wouldnt have been necessary, and thus the timestamp is still useless.
13
14 > 2. The .orig suffix on the --- line has been very useful in seeing that
15 > somebody accidentally reversed the patch when generating it.
16
17 meh. i think this is minor/rare enough to ignore.
18
19 > One additional request: Using RFC822-style headers for patch text data.
20
21 i'll add these tips inline with the other stuff
22 -mike