From: Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] package.mask vs ~arch
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2014 10:11:00
1 Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > If we're going to define ~arch as basically stable, and arch as
3 > out-of-date, then we might as well drop keywords entirely.
4
5 I actually don't think that would be such a bad thing.
6
7 I only consider ~arch relevant, because it is the closest to upstream.
8
9 I want the distribution I use to be as thin as possible; the value it
10 adds is administrative - and the Gentoo packages and tools are fantastic.
11 \o/
12
13 The thicker a distribution is, the larger a gap between users and
14 upstream it creates, which inconveniences *both* users and upstream,
15 because users have to wait for new code, and upstreams have to deal
16 with lots of known and possibly fixed bugs.
17
18 The ideal would be only live ebuilds, but for now we have no precise
19 technology for synchronization.
20
21 Version numbers are both blunt and arbitrary.
24 //Peter