From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-kernel] Proper distribution integration of kernel *-sources, patches and configuration.
Date: Thu, 04 Jul 2013 08:00:55
1 On Thu, 4 Jul 2013 06:27:59 +0100
2 "Steven J. Long" <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3
4 > Tom Wijsman wrote:
5 > > "Steven J. Long" wrote:
6 > > > If it does [affect the build by default] then it should never be
7 > > > applied, unless the user specifically asks for it, imo, and the
8 > > > resultant kernel is labelled -exp as you suggest.
9 > >
10 > > Yes, we are going to introduce an experimental USE flag for this.
11 >
12 > That's for the over-arching set of patches isn't it? Which takes care
13 > of the labelling.
14
15 Yes, we currently have "base" and "extras" tarballs for genpatches; it
16 is trivial to add a "experimental" tarball to this set, all the
17 optional experimental patches will be in that tarball. This is also
18 handy for maintainers of other distros whom use genpatches.
19
20 > > > > It's just a matter of embedding each + block in the diff with a
21 > > > > config check and updating the counts.
22 > ..
23 > > > > I can convert the original developer's patch whenever he updates
24 > > > > it; or on top of that, write a script to generate the original
25 > > > > patch back.
26 >
27 > > > Please, just keep a copy of the original patch as well as the
28 > > > modified output from the script, somewhere reasonable to you, if
29 > > > you are doing any editing. Traceability is essential here.
30 > >
31 > > But yes, some git branches can easily cover the editing part.
32 >
33 > I think a lot of these things are checks that should happen before
34 > patches are included, and on every upgrade. So we need to separate
35 > out what the developer/ebuild-maintainer has to do to prepare files/,
36 > and what needs to happen in the ebuild itself.
37
38 Please note that this discussion is regarding genpatches; so, there is
39 no files/ directory and the ebuild change is very minimal, changing one
40 or two numbers to indicate the genpatches version to use.
41
42 Every time I add a patch to genpatches I compile a test kernel using a
43 test ebuild; I plan to add these checks to our genpatches scripts, then
44 I can call the checks script from the ebuild in a QA way.
45
46 > > > Unless of course the user specifically requests it. This can be a
47 > > > simple variable with a list of required patches, or whatever.
48 > >
49 > > With USE=-experimental (which will be the default) they are
50 > > excluded by default, after enabling that the user can exclude
51 > > patches by setting UNIPATCH_EXCLUDE through the package.env
52 > > mechanism.
53 >
54 > I'd feel happier if certain patches, the troublesome ones discussed,
55 > had to be explicity enabled, before the configuration options and the
56 > patch to kernel files took place. Perhaps via UNIPATCH_INCLUDE or
57 > USE=aufs.
58
59 There shouldn't be a problem here unless the user applies a lot of
60 patches that could introduce a colliding patch; in this case the user
61 either has to fix the conflicting patch or exclude ours. We can't know
62 for ourselves which patches will be troublesome in this light; but
63 well, I feel like this only happens on a very exceptional basis. If an
64 user keeps this amount of patches, ours are probably not needed.
67 With kind regards,
68
69 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
70 Gentoo Developer
71
72 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
73 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
74 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D