From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFD: EAPI specification in ebuilds
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 03:56:11
1 On 03/11/2012 07:03 PM, Brian Harring wrote:
2 > Pragmatic reality, the eapi function actually would work fine. As
3 > pointed out elsewhere, bash parses as it goes- which isn't going to
4 > change.
5 >
6 > If someone invokes 'eapi happy-meal' and it's not supported,
7 > the sourcing is stopped immediately, cache gets -happy-meal for the
8 > EAPI, and the pm continues to ignore the ebuild till either the
9 > ebuilds mtime changes (which case it redoes the metadata regen) or the
10 > PM now supports that EAPI, and... you guessed it, redoes the metadata
11 > regen. The cache behaviour is basically the same regardless of the
12 > EAPI mechanism.
13 >
14 > Now, this isn't to say everyone views the function as *optimal*.
15 > People can argue about that as much as they'd like.
16 >
17 > The point however is that it *would* work. Anyone claiming
18 > fragility/otherwise needs to put forth actual code examples.
19
20 Suppose that EAPI 5 requires bash-5. There may be bash-5 syntax in the
21 ebuild prior to your eapi() function call, causing a fatal syntax error.
22
23 >> Anyway, lets focus on our main goal, which is to decide on a way to
24 >> obtain the EAPI _without_ sourcing the ebuild.
25 >
26 > Nitpicking, but the point needs be made; this is *your* requirement.
27 > The requirement is to be able to deploy new globals/bash
28 > requirements/whatever.
29
30 Well, I think most people would tend to accept my requirement, and that
31 it falls within the realm of common-sense if avoiding unnecessary
32 complexity is one of our goals.
33 --
34 Thanks,
35 Zac