From: Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Git, GPG Signing, and Manifests
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2015 01:26:20
2 Hash: SHA512
3
4 On Thu, 16 Jul 2015 21:13:09 -0400
5 NP-Hardass <NP-Hardass@g.o> wrote:
6
8 > Hash: SHA256
9 >
10 > Not sure if this has been covered in some of the rather long chains of
11 > late, but I was thinking about GPG signing, and how the proposed
12 > workflow requires every developer to sign their commits. Currently,
13 > it's advised that every manifest be signed. As far as I know, there
14 > are a number that are not. When a manifest is signed, the author is
15 > saving a state, and providing a means to check it has not changed.
16 >
17 > Additionally, I feel that a signature is a means of acknowledging that
18 > a package has been looked over, and that developer has stated that
19 > they approve of the existing state. I'm not sure if others agree with
20 > that sentiment, but if anyone does, my question is, how does the
21 > conversion process to git handle these packages, where the manifests
22 > are not signed. Is there an intention to blanket cover all packages
23 > when we switch to git? Will these packages be copied over directly
24 > and still maintain their unsigned manifest (I think this is unlikely
25 > as I read that there would be a switch to thin manifests, requiring
26 > regeneration)? If the community doesn't view the signature of the
27 > manifest as I just described, then a blanket signing would be fine.
28 >
29 > Would appreciate your thoughts either way, as I could be overthinking
30 > the issue :P
31 >
32 > - --
33 > NP-Hardass
36 No, with the git working tree, we will switch to thin manifests and the
37 entire commit will be signed. Not only that, but the push to the main
38 server will also be signed (a push may contain commits signed by a
39 different person that the person pushing).
40
41 For the regular rsync tree, Full manifests will be regenerated as
42 needed and signed by a common infra supplied gpg key. So for general
43 users, it will be easy to verify without having all gentoo devs gpg
44 keys. That will be different for users of the git tree.
47 - --
48 Brian Dolbec <dolsen>
49