From: Chris White <chriswhite@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Getting Important Updates To Users
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 07:45:17
1 It has made somewhat painfully obvious as of late as to the lack of a
2 centralized source of updates for users. This has recently become true
3 moreso with the apache2 config file changes and the step to php5. A couple
4 of things I'd like to bring out:
5
6 1) Currently, our gentoo.org front page is very, well, slim. Afaik, I only
7 see major site updates, mailing lists notices, gdp updates, and of course the
8 GWN. In a way I think we're underestimating our frontpage. When someone is
9 first introduced to gentoo, they are most likely directed immediately to the
10 frontpage, www.gentoo.org. If they notice things such as major updates and
11 what not, chances are they'll most likely keep viewing it throughout their
12 Gentoo usage (at least I'd hope). However, it becomes somewhat combersome to
13 check the page every now and then for some, which comes to the second point.
14
15 2) The front page also has a nice RSS feed. This can be utilized for people
16 that would rather have convient RSS feeds avaliable on demand. Considering
17 that rss readers are avaliable pretty much in every form nowdays, it would be
18 considered a good idea to update the front page more for this reason as well.
19 This would give users the chance to have news feed to them in a convient and
20 functional manner (after all, that is the point of RSS). Of course, maybe
21 people are more tune with email, which comes to point three.
22
23 3) I think it would be a good idea for gentoo-announce to also include front
24 page announcements. This would work well for people that are more email
25 oriented (they use email a lot for business) and would keep things
26 centralized for them. This would also be best promoted on the front page,
27 maybe stickied in some form or another.
28
29 So in conclusion, front page should get more updates, which would propigate to
30 rss, and maybe link gentoo-announce to the front page as well.
31
32 Chris White