From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [soc] Python bindings for Paludis
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 18:07:31
1 On Tuesday 27 March 2007, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > Do you acknowledge that Portage is a severe limiting factor when it
3 > comes to improving the Gentoo user experience as a whole?
4
5 what a lame question ... rather than waste time on this, why dont we get to
6 some relevant issues ...
7
8 to start with, Paludis will never be an official package manager for Gentoo so
9 long as you are heavily involved. now that we've put a bolt right between
10 the eyes of that pink elephant, how about we address some other things as
11 well ...
12
13 since you're obviously going to complain about Gentoo's official package
14 manager so long as $pkgmgr != paludis without any intentions of helping
15 address limitations you raise (nor am i expecting you to), why dont you do us
16 all a favor and clamp it. constantly pointing out that $pkgmgr sucks and
17 $pkgmgr does not support xxx and $pkgmgr has this limitation or that stupid
18 design decision and that paludis is the be all end all solution to our
19 problems does not accomplish anything ... it merely serves to piss us all off
20
21 a good topic for the next council meeting i think would be to start up a spec
22 of requirements that a package manager must satisfy before it'd be an
23 official package manager for Gentoo ... off the top of my head:
24 - the main developers need to be Gentoo developers
25 - source code hosted on Gentoo infrastructure
26 - compatible "emerge" and "ebuild" binaries
27 -mike