From: Maciek Borowka <maciek@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo as a Production Server
Date: Fri, 05 Jul 2002 06:03:26
1 Heh... Reply to... :+)
5 ----- Forwarded message from Maciek Borowka <maciek@×××××××.net> -----
6 Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo as a Production Server
7 To: Vano Dolukhanian <vano@××××××××××××××××.com>
8
9 Hello,
10
11 This subject was already discussed several times on both gentoo-dev and
12 gentoo-users. A lot of ideas were proposed and discussed. Just search the
13 archives for "Stable gentoo", "gentoo server" and so on...
14 As far as I remember (and this is what I would advice too) the most important
15 thing using a gentoo server is to *never* emerge --update --world... This (very
16 powerful, indeed) tool is simply not made for a server environement.
17
18 Anyway, why would you want to update world? If you have a server without any
19 security holes (ok, without any evident security holes ;+) you don't need to
20 update... If you take a look, there is still a pretty good quantity of Redhat6.2
21 servers on the internet - they work and no one is really ready to upgrade them...
22
23 Just my 0.02 euro...
24 /Maciek
27 Quoting Vano Dolukhanian <vano@××××××××××××××××.com>:
28
29 > Hi all,
30 >
31 > I am using Gentoo as a samba, mail and intranet web server at a site.
32 > It is what usually is termed a "production server". Lately several
33 > incidents have occured to me while upgrading (OpenSSH and a few other
34 > stuff like Apache) using emerge -up system/world.
35 >
36 > [snip]
37 >
38 > All in all, I love Gentoo and am moving everything in my hands to this
39 > distro, but I would love to regain my trust in emerge -up when dealing
40 > with sensitive enviornments.
48 This mail sent through IMP: http://horde.org/imp/