From: Jaco Kroon <jaco@××××××.za>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, Michael 'veremitz' Everitt <gentoo@×××××××.xyz>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Package up for grabs: sys-firmware/iwl1000-ucode
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2019 19:02:47
1 Hi,
2
3 On 2019/11/16 19:08, Michael 'veremitz' Everitt wrote:
4 > On 16/11/19 16:59, Matt Turner wrote:
5 >> On Sat, Nov 16, 2019 at 1:06 AM Jaco Kroon <jaco@××××××.za> wrote:
6 >>> Hi,
7 >>>
8 >>> On 2019/11/15 21:35, Matt Turner wrote:
9 >>>> On Fri, Nov 15, 2019 at 2:20 AM Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
10 >>>>> The package is somewhat redundant, because sys-kernel/linux-firmware
11 >>>>> installs the same files. (Same for all other sys-firmware/iwl*-ucode
12 >>>>> packages.)
13 >>>> Should last-rite all of them, IMO.
14 >>>>
15 >>> I both agree and disagree with this. It's the simpler solution and
16 >>> therefore I agree.
17 >>>
18 >>> I disagree because in some cases I really only want specific firmware
19 >>> for specific sets of hardware (especially where space constraints are an
20 >>> issue, read: embedded type systems).
21 >>>
22 >>> The current linux-firmware package is getting quite big in terms of install.
23 >> USE=savedconfig allows you to choose exactly which files to install :)
24 >>
25 > I've never found a good way (yet...) to figure out how to write a fresh new
26 > 'savedconfig' if you haven't ever previously emerged the package in
27 > question. Does anyone have a good method for this, that doesn't require
28 > unpacking the whole nine yards (Megs, Gigs...) first?
29 >
30 I Agree.
31
32 And for that matter, knowing which files to actually install, and what
33 to filter out.  With the split packages I know I want firmware for
34 something specific.  With the big package it really is much harder.
35 That said:  generally I just merge the big package by default, unless I
36 have a specific reason to not do so (which is seldom).
37
38 Bandwidth is much less of an issue now than it was a decade ago, but
39 still, if you only need a few MB of firmware, why download the whole lot
40 first?
41
42 Kind Regards,
43 Jaco