From: Matti Bickel <mabi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Reviving GLEP33
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2010 09:56:40
1 Hi folks,
2
3 I've been told that my use of eblits in dev-lang/php is something I
4 should get rid of as soon as possible. Suggested alternative by ferring:
5 use elibs.
6
7 So here goes: I want to see GLEP33[1] implemented in portage, so I can
8 shift the eblits core and currently global functions into elibs and
9 probably push the eblits I use for php into the same structure.
10
11 Basic question: what needs to be done to get this GLEP accepted and
12 implemented (it's current status is moribound)?
13
14 I extracted a list of things we (or rather the portage and all other PM
15 teams) need to do:
16
17 (1) create elibs() function to enable importing elibs
18 (2) extend repoman to handle new style elibs and eclass signing/checking
19 (3) profit ;)
20
21 Also, there're some question I have:
22 (1) The GLEP (under "The reduced role of Eclasses,[...]") speaks of
23 "Cases where the constant [metadata] requirement is violated are known"
24 - who exactly are the current offenders?
25
26 (2) What's the dev community feeling on "The end of backwards
27 compatibility..." section in the GLEP? Personal opinion: when the
28 council reached consensus that old eclasses can be removed with due
29 last-rites, this section became obsolete. Just putting new-style
30 eclasses in their own dirs in eclass/ might again be an option. Please
31 discuss.
32
33 (3) Continuing with (2) do you feel we still need to provide a eclass
34 compat build (tarball) to users *still* not using a sane portage
35 version? If no, section "The start of a different phase of backwards
36 compatibility" can probably be stripped from the GLEP.
37
38 I silently assumed that our infra servers are running >=portage-2.1.4.4
39 here.
40
41 Instead of all the backwards-compatibility issues the GLEP deals with,
42 we could just sneak the implementation into EAPI4 and be done with it.
43
44 [1] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/glep/glep-0033.html