From: David Nelson <commerce@××××××××××.biz>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] LibreOffice project: request for contributors and mentoring
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 09:41:02
1 Hi, :-)
2
3 I'm a member of the LibreOffice community. LibreOffice (LibO) is the
4 office suite project of The Document Foundation (TDF), the
5 community-driven organization that recently forked from the
6 Oracle-managed OpenOffice.org project.
7
8 TDF/LibO is currently working on its branding and on its artwork for
9 the LibreOffice distribution. We are currently very short of GRAPHIC
10 ARTISTS.
11
12 Notably, right now, we urgently need creative talent to help us design
13 artwork for our websites. We need to develop a logo, and - hopefully -
14 a MASCOT along the lines of Linux's Tux, to act as a "living"
15 ambassador that achieves lasting recognition of our brand and products
16 in people's minds.
17
18 But we also need talent to work on icon sets and other artwork on an
19 ongoing basis.
20
21 A number of Linux distributions have announced their intention to ship
22 LibreOffice with their future releases. We know that they frequently
23 do re-branding work to integrate their chosen office suite in lines
24 with their project's thinking.
25
26 So we are keen to involve you in our project branding and development,
27 so that we ship releases that better fit your needs.
28
29 LibreOffice and The Document Foundation could also benefit from
30 MENTORING and from close and ongoing involvement from established
31 Linux projects, especially in these early days when we are developing
32 our infrastructure and organization.
33
34 Like you, we passionately value and believe in Free Open Source
35 software (FOSS).
36
37 We very much ask you to get involved in our project and influence our
38 development. We seek your comments and advice and contributions. For
39 this, below you will find a number of links as a starting point:
40
41 Useful links
42 =======
43
44 LibreOffice marketing mailing list: marketing+subscribe@×××××××××××.org
45
46 The Document Foundation general discussions mailing list:
47 discuss+subscribe@××××××××××××××××××.org
48
49 LibreOffice developers mailing list:
52 TDF steering committee discussions mailing list:
53 steering-discuss+subscribe@××××××××××××××××××.org
54
55 LibreOffice user support mailing list: users+subscribe@×××××××××××.org
56
57 Our Nabble gateway for easy mailing list browsing:
58 http://www.documentfoundation.org/nabble/
59
60 The Document Foundation contacts page:
61 http://www.documentfoundation.org/contact/
62
63 Mail address distributing to all TDF press and media contacts:
64 info@××××××××××××××××××.org
65
66 LibreOffice dedicated IRC channel: #libreoffice at irc.freenode.net
67
68 TDF dedicated IRC channel: #documentfoundation at irc.freenode.net
69
70 Follow TDF via @docufoundation on Twitter: http://twitter.com/docufoundation
71
72 Follow TDF via @docufoundation on identi.ca: http://identi.ca/docufoundation
73
74 Visit the TDF website: http://www.documentfoundation.org
77 Pages showing the project's work in progress
78 =====================
79
80 http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Marketing/Branding
81
82 http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Marketing/Ideas
85 Plus, of course, if necessary, you can contact me, too, at the address
86 from which this mail was sent, or via this mailing list.
87
88 Thank you for your time reading this message. Thank you, also, for
89 your own valuable work in bringing the world Open Source software.
90
91 David Nelson
92
93 P.S. Please note that this advocacy is a personal initiative, and is
94 *not* in any way "official communication" by TDF.