From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: [gentoo-commits] gentoo-x86 commit in x11-libs/qt: ChangeLog qt-4.3.2.ebuild
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2007 18:02:38
1 On 13:34 Fri 05 Oct , Steve Long wrote:
2 > Roy Marples wrote:
3 > > IFS=-
4 > > set -- ${CHOST}
5 > > spec=$2
6 > >
7 > > Works fine in bash - and other shells.
8 > >
9 > Yeah fine, there are kludgy workarounds; so what? Doesn't mean I want to use
10 > them. ;)
11 > In actual fact, I'd be more likely to use parameter expansion than set, eg:
12 > spec=${CHOST#*-*-} # chop first two fields off so spec is fields 3 on
13 > spec=${spec%%-*} # chop all but first off so left with just field 3
14 > ..which I believe works in sh[1] as well. The point for me, however, is not
15 > whether sh can be kludged to do something, it's what the most efficient
16 > ways to do something in scripts are. Whether you use pe, read or an array,
17 > avoiding externals leads to quicker scripts.[2]
18
19 That parameter workaround wouldn't work, because CHOST may also contain
20 just 3 fields, as it does on Gentoo/BSD. Unpack a portage tarball and
21 look at the make.conf's if you're curious.
22
23 Avoiding externals at the cost of added complexity on something that
24 only gets called one time certainly qualifies as premature optimization.
25
26 Thanks,
27 Donnie
28 --