From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>, "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>, dev-portage <dev-portage@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Dynamic dependencies
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2015 20:17:51
1 Dnia 2015-09-16, o godz. 15:49:24
2 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> napisał(a):
3
4 > On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 3:31 PM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
5 > >
6 > > As for virtuals and eclasses, I don't really understand why anyone
7 > > thinks they are special in any regard. In both cases, we're talking
8 > > about regular dependency change in metadata, and we need to understand
9 > > the consequences. And they're going to be the same whether we change
10 > > dep A to B, A to virtual, and whether we change it directly or via
11 > > eclass.
12 >
13 > Sure, but a developer KNOWS when their RDEPENDS change when they're
14 > modifying it directly in an ebuild. If they inherit an eclass and it
15 > sets an RDEPEND and the eclass changes, then it effectively changes
16 > the dependency for every ebuild that inherits it even though there
17 > weren't any commits to any of those ebuilds.
18
19 If you modify an eclass, you're responsible for the outcome. Even if
20 means revbumping hundreds of ebuilds for the sake of it. Note that this
21 is the kind of revbump that wouldn't require resetting stable keywords
22 as long as deps are satisfied.
23
24 > > 2. Dependency changes that don't need to apply immediately don't need
25 > > revbump. For example, if foo.eclass raises minimal required version of
26 > > a dependency but all packages built so far will work with the old one.
29 > Are we talking about a build dependency or a run-time dependency? I
30 > don't get why we'd increase the minimal required version of a run-time
31 > dependency if everything built so far still works with the old
32 > version.
33
34 Runtime. The minver can be raised for developer's convenience -- like
35 when a large number of packages is expected to require a new version
36 soon, and the developers would otherwise have to override the eclass-
37 specified versions. Instead, the eclass is updated and new requirements
38 apply.
39
40 > Also, assuming that there is a case where this actually happens, does
41 > this have any impact on running --depclean or any other obscure
42 > blocker issues because the version in VDB is no longer in the tree?
43
44 It shouldn't have. And if it would, the issues with the whole 'do
45 stupid stuff and not bump' policy would be much worse.
48 Best regards,
49 Michał Górny
50 <http://dev.gentoo.org/~mgorny/>