From: Mike Myers <fluffymikey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] KDE, metapackages, and monolithic packages
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 18:39:18
1 Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò wrote:
2
3 >A part you probably mixed a bit the difference between monolithic and split
4 >packages...
5 >
6 >On Saturday 25 February 2006 09:32, Mike Myers wrote:
9 >>My question is; Is there any better way to do these kinds of things
10 >>yet?
13 >man emerge -> look for --newuse
17 Sorry, I forgot to mention that. That flag doesn't apply to the meta
18 package.
19
20 If I emerge kde-meta, and then for whatever reason want to change a
21 flag, like add dvd or something, I can't simply do;
22
23 emerge --newuse kde-meta
24
25 Instead, I'd have to do;
26
27 emerge --newuse kde
28
29 which won't work because everything that the metapackage installs blocks
30 the monolithic packages.
31
32 Is there any way to just install like, certain packages if you've used
33 the metapackage? Like, if I didn't want to have to wait for everything
34 to be compiled? I'd rather just be able to compile a particular package
35 instead, like say if I just wanted to add alsa support to noatun or
36 something. Then I could just emerge noatun and be done with it.
37 Instead, I have to recompile everything. That probably sounds a little
38 silly, but it's just an example.
39
40 Is there an easier method?
41 --