From: Jason Rhinelander <jason@××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] cvs.eclass: build while being offline
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 01:36:41
1 Luke-Jr wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA1
4 >
5 > On Tuesday 09 March 2004 08:36 pm, Jason Rhinelander wrote:
6 >
7 >>Torsten Veller wrote:
8 >>
9 >>>right now a -cvs ebuild (cvs.eclass) breaks if the computer is offline
10 >>>and ECVS_SERVER!=offline. (Today it happens during a revdep-rebuild.)
11 >>
12 >>How is that broken behaviour? If a non-cvs ebuild can't download its
13 >>sources, it fatals as well.
14 >
15 > revdep-rebuild, I would hope, only rebuilds the currently installed
16 > application. With non-cvs ebuilds, the user will likely already have the
17 > distfiles needed. A cvs one shouldn't update in this case...
18
19 You are assuming that "what is in distfiles/cvs-src" == "what I last
20 emerged" which with cvs ebuilds can be far from the truth.
21 mozilla-1.5.tar.bz2 is (hopefully) always 1.5 - I can take any 1.5,
22 build it, and get the same thing. "distfiles/cvs-src/mozilla" isn't.
23
24 You're also wrong about how revdep-rebuild works - it doesn't attempt to
25 build exactly the same thing you installed before, it merely attempts to
26 rebuild any packages that seem to have broken .so's or binaries. I
27 could have radically changed my use flags, and a revdep-rebuild will
28 emerge the package with my new use flags, not the old ones. As it should.
29
30 >>>Could you change this to something like:
31 >>>If cvs-server is not available or you are not online, print a
32 >>>warning/hint and try to build from an old checkout.
33 >>
34 >>If emerge is unable to download updated cvs sources, it seems to me that
35 >>it should be handled the same way non-cvs ebuilds handle not being able
36 >>to download their package sources. What you seem to be suggesting would
37 >>be analogous to the mozilla-1.6 ebuild using mozilla-source-1.5.tar.bz2
38 >>because it couldn't download mozilla-source-1.6.tar.bz2.
39 >
40 > Rather, the way it is now would be analogous to revdep-rebuild trying to pull
41 > in mozilla-1.6 when currently only mozilla-1.5 is installed.
42
43 Blindly trusting that what is in cvs-src is 1.5 could lead to this exact
44 effect.
47 Anyway, let's get back to the original point for a second:
48
49 >right now a -cvs ebuild (cvs.eclass) breaks if the computer is offline
50 >and ECVS_SERVER!=offline. (Today it happens during a revdep-rebuild.)
51
52 Isn't that really your own fault? How is cvs.eclass supposed to know
53 your connection is down as opposed to the CVS server's? If I emerge
54 mozilla-cvs, but the mozilla CVS server was down and the latest sources
55 I have are a year old, should it just continue away and build a year-old
56 Mozilla?
59 -- Jason Rhinelander
60 -- Gossamer Threads, Inc.
63 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list