From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Roy Marples <roy@×××××××.name>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Detecting Baselayout2/OpenRC from init.d scripts (summary of debate and plans from bug 270646)
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 2009 14:28:20
1 On Monday 08 June 2009 10:00:23 Roy Marples wrote:
2 > Mike Frysinger wrote:
3 > > On Monday 08 June 2009 09:09:43 Roy Marples wrote:
4 > >> Mike Frysinger wrote:
5 > >>> if openrc versions are causing a level of incompatibility, then it
6 > >>> should itself be setting up an env var for init.d scripts to key off of
7 > >>> rather than having to figure out what's going on via the filesystem.
8 > >>> the point of this thread is to detect baselayout-1 vs openrc only.
9 > >>
10 > >> RC_VERSION is available in 0.5.0
11 > >> However, for VServer it needs to be easily available without running
12 > >> anything, hence this discussion.
13 > >
14 > > if it's in the execution environment of the init.d script,nothing was run
15 >
16 > You would have to ask the VServer team, but my understanding was they
17 > needed to detect version of OpenRC in a container from the host before
18 > the container is started.
19
20 if systems need crazy restrictions, these things should be clearly documented
21 (preferably in a file in the openrc tree itself). otherwise we waste time
22 talking about stuff none of us have the foggiest clue about. so until the
23 vserver team opts to chime in, i dont think there's anything left here.
24
25 the original issue can be handled via sbin/functions.sh (unless someone has a
26 reason why not)
27 -mike