From: "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
To: Gentoo Development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] RFC: GLEP 64: Standardize contents of VDB and establish and API for exporting this information.
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2014 20:00:26
1 Hi everyone,
2
3 I've written a GLEP which outlines a standard for what information
4 should be stored by any package management systems (PMS) in /var/db/pkg
5 (VDB) and mandates some API for exporting it to other tools [1]. The
6 need to do so was discussed in the Council during the 20130910 meeting
7 [2]. During that meeting, the council focused on NEEDED.ELF.2 which is
8 recorded by portage, but not paludis. Linkage information is generated
9 during package builds, is expensive to recalculate and is needed by
10 other packages like revdep-pax for PaX marking ELF objects.
11
12 I've aimed to make the GLEP open to how each PMS team wants to implement
13 this without being too vague. We should also consider carefully the
14 list of items we want cached although we could always update this list
15 later.
16
17 Feedback welcome.
18
19 Ref
20 [1] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GLEP:64
21 [2] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/council/meeting-logs/20130910-summary.txt
24 Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
25 Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]
26 E-Mail : blueness@g.o
27 GnuPG FP : 1FED FAD9 D82C 52A5 3BAB DC79 9384 FA6E F52D 4BBA
28 GnuPG ID : F52D4BBA