From: Jean-Michel Smith <jsmith@××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] 1.4 RC1 - limited network drivers on live-cd
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 14:03:45
1 Greetings,
2
3 Sorry if I missed this while on vacation, but is there any reason for the
4 limited number of network drivers available on the 1.4-rc1 live CDs? Several
5 common drivers are missing, such as eepro100, ns83820, and tulip (which
6 together encompass all of the NICs available to me).
7
8 Is it planned to add the missing network drivers to the boot CDs prior to the
9 final release of 1.4? It would seem to make sense to compile every single
10 network driver available as a module, rather than just the few that are
11 currently available in /lib/modules/*/kernel/drivers/net. As it is, the live
12 CDs won't allow a network install of Gentoo 1.4 to a whole slew of hardware,
13 including every single PC I manage. Indeed, without the eepro100 drivers
14 even the laptops are currently SOL. I realize I can boot an old, functional
15 1.2 CD and cobble together a 1.4 install, but this does seem like a bit of an
16 oversight for a pending release.
17
18 Or have I missed something painfully obvious somewhere?
19
20 Jean.