From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, qa@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Add --hash-style=gnu to LDFLAGS
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 2010 21:32:22
1 On Saturday, August 07, 2010 12:32:31 Markos Chandras wrote:
2 > It seems like few of our fellow developers don't know how to track down
3 > packages that don't respect LDFLAGS. Adding -Wl,--hash-style=gnu is a good
4 > way to do that. I would like to see this linker flag enabled by default on
5 > LDFLAGS (or at least for the dev/ profiles for now). Do you agree?
6
7 it isnt a valid flag for everyone. it requires a new enough binutils (not too
8 big of a deal), a new enough glibc (also not too big of a deal), and you cant
9 be a mips target (glibc support is broken). support does exist in uClibc, but
10 only in recent versions (this is an issue), and hasnt been widely tested for
11 many targets.
12
13 it also can cause binary compatibility issues for people who wish to compile a
14 package on Gentoo but deploy elsewhere. not sure how much of a hassle this is
15 for people.
16
17 considering the only real benefit is that it automates a QA check, i dont
18 think it's worth the hassle. newer Gentoo binutils already enables .gnu.hash
19 support by default, so people get the speed increase transparently.
20
21 > I would also like to know the procedures I should follow to make this
22 > default on every profile as well. Do I need a council approval for that?
23
24 not really
25 -mike