From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] openrc-0.5.1 arrived in the tree
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 22:23:44
1 On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 01:33:27AM +0200, Branko Badrljica wrote:
2 > 1. Much of the time on Gentoo using of ~ packages is not user explicit
3 > choice but forced compromise.
4 > I don't remember exactly anymore what prompted me to enter openrc in
5 > package.keywords, but I surely remember having a few headaches with it.
6 > Same is with many other packages- many times using ~arch is the only
7 > answer, so 99% of the time it is used for getting some package to work
8 > and not for pure testing.
9
10 The ~arch tree is where things go when they first enter the tree, and,
11 if there are no issues with them for a period of time they are marked
12 stable. Hard masking, on the other hand, generally is for packages that
13 are known to break many systems.
14
15 The developer tested the package and had others test it and it worked
16 for them, so he committed it to the ~arch tree, which was the correct
17 thing for him to do.
18
19 > Having in mind state of the matter in_real_world, I really don't think
20 > that having such things at least temporarily masked ( not to mention
21 > DOCUMENTED!) is really not overdoing it.
22
23 Technically, there is nothing to document except possibly warning
24 against changing the oldnet use flag. But, again, if you are using
25 ~arch packages you should know how to recover.
26
27 The openrc guide is at
28 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/openrc-migration.xml, and it still
29 documents the correct way to upgrade to openrc if you did not switch to
30 the new network scripts.
31
32 > As it was done, it presented me with nasty surprise. Machine has gotten
33 > through upgrade world just fine and only after reboot it couldn't start
34 > network interfaces. Manual restart croaked with some error about python
35 > not being able to find some function.
36
37 That doesn't sound like an openrc issue; openrc does not have anything
38 to do with python as far as I know.
39
40 I would be curious what other packages were involved in the update?
41 What did you do to get the system up and running again?
42
43 > It felt exactly like a few last times when my ext4 decided to lose a few
44 > hundred essential system files. There was nothing to suggest openrc.
45 > After I lost some time reemerging system files and sifting through
46 > ebuilds, packages and scripts, that casual message here about new openrc
47 > hit me purely by chance, otherwise I would be in for much more pain.
48 > After I got system running again, I couldn't find anywhere anything at
49 > all about any substantial change in openrc.
50 > Not on bugzilla, not on openrc home page nor anywhere else.
51
52 That's because there wasn't one, and because ~arch is not considered
53 stable anyway. ~arch is where things go so that we can get them
54 tested, after we test them ourselves, before they move to stable. And,
55 as was said above, if you are running ~arch and things break, you are
56 expected to know how to recover.
57
58 When you file the bug, please give us all of the details about what you
59 did, what was upgraded, the exact error message you got, etc.
62 William Hubbs
63 gentoo accessibility team lead
64 williamh@g.o