From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: CONFIG_CHECK_FATAL, making CONFIG_CHECKS fatal by default
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 19:26:19
1 On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 2:19 PM, Christopher Head <chead@×××××.ca> wrote:
2 > Surely even that isn’t good enough, since the user could have built an
3 > option as a module, tested it out, discovered it worked fine, and then
4 > rebuilt the kernel with the option set to Y, but the .ko file would
5 > still be left lying around?
6
7 Yup. Until the day comes when we have a USE flag for every kernel
8 parameter (in both built-in and module form) and just have the ebuild
9 actually build and install the kernel, it is going to be messy. The
10 kernel is a bit unique in that we just dump a pile of source on the
11 disk and ask the user to have at it. Note that I'm by no means
12 advocating that we actually do any of that - the kernel is unusual in
13 that it is EXTREMELY configurable otherwise this is probably what
14 would have been done.
15
16 As I mentioned in my last email maybe having a kernel package that
17 does do exactly that for a desktop-oriented kernel with maybe only a
18 few USE options might not be a bad idea - perhaps even managing grub
19 config and all. That could be something that would make life easier
20 on users who don't care to customize their kernels.
21
22 Rich