From: Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] */*: Mask Py2 only packages
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2020 03:07:57
1 On Wed, Jun 24, 2020 at 04:21:14PM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Wed, Jun 24, 2020 at 4:08 PM Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3 > >
4 > > $ git grep -l mgorny@g.o '**/metadata.xml' | cut -d/ -f1-2 |
5 > > xargs gpy-py2 2>/dev/null
8 > I have no idea what gpy-py2 is, but I'll take your word for it.
9 >
10 > In any case, the solution in this case is to send a nice email to
11 > -dev-announce saying:
12 >
13 > We're removing python2 around <date>. You can help us out by updating
14 > any packages you have that use python2. If you want to easily
15 > identify these packages just do <insert quick script here>.
16 >
17 > I think the problem here is that we're basically telling maintainers
18 > that the beatings will continue until morale improves. Then we're
19 > wondering why nothing is getting done.
20 >
21 > I'm not saying anybody has to do it a particular way - it just seems
22 > obvious that the way we're doing it is more successful at getting
23 > people upset than actually getting results.
24 >
25 > Ideally you would just open a tracker bug and then per-package bugs
26 > for every impacted package. That would be the cleanest solution. If
27 > that is too painful then by all means do some email announcements, but
28 > make it easy for devs to realize when they're missing something.
29 >
30 > Having a package mask be the first time a maintainer finds out that
31 > they have a problem isn't good. Now, you can blame that on the
32 > maintainer, or you can blame that on the python team, but either way
33 > the users end up getting exposed to breakage unnecessarily.
34 >
35 > --
36 > Rich
39 I am thoroughly confused here. Some how you have completely changed your
40 opinion from previous posts. Furthermore, this has turned into a debate
41 of how to find packages that are Py2 only which is just absurd.
42
43 Of all the methods listed in the previous posts, the QA reports, etc.
44 there is no excuse individuals can't find out if their package is py2
45 only.
46
47 Ironically, it would be a very sad state if an individual doesn't know
48 what Python interpreter their package is compatible with. This is the
49 essence of "maintainer" status, correct?
50
51 Can we stop finding excuses and let folks fix their packages?
52
53 Obviously, the myriad of tools, ML threads, and all the other "avenues"
54 individual developers have taken to alert others simply doesn't work...
55 until something is p.masked... people don't budge.
58 Cheers,
59 Aaron