From: "Stephen P. Becker" <geoman@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] category sci-geosciences redundant ?
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 14:28:50
1 Andrew D. Fant wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA1
4 >
5 > Mike Frysinger wrote:
6 > | is it just me or does it seem redundant to have 'sciences' at the end
7 > of a
8 > | sci-* category ? wouldnt it make more sense as just 'sci-geo' ?
9 >
10 > Would sci-geo be geography or geology or geosciences?
11 >
12 > Andy
16 I just figure I should throw my two cents into this thread. Looking at
17 the packages in app-geosciences, I have a hard time seeing why the
18 category exists at all. Two of the packages are meteorology, which is
19 definitely a big stretch. I'm not sure you'll find very many university
20 or college geoscience departments around the country that have a
21 meteorology major for example.
22
23 A third package is for making maps, called GMT, which can have numerous
24 applications (including geosciences), but doesn't *have* to be
25 geoscience specific. I quote from their homepage, "Most users of GMT
26 are Earth scientists, but there are apparently no limits to the kind of
27 applications that may benefit from GMT: We know GMT is used in medical
28 research, engineering, physics, mathematics, social and biological
29 sciences, and by geographers, fisheries institutes, oil companies, and a
30 wide range of government agencies." That said, I could live with this
31 package staying in app-geosciences.
32
33 Finally, the GIS program, called grass, which is very useful in
34 geosciences as well, also doesn't have to be geoscience specific. In
35 fact, GIS stands for "geographic information system". This could also
36 stay in app-geosciences.
37
38 So, by my count, that is two packages which you could make a case for
39 staying in this category, which is silly. Do we really need a whole
40 category for two ebuilds? Anyway, what I mean by all of this is that
41 yes, sci-geo would be more ambiguous, but it would be a hell of a lot
42 better than the current name since it would branch out over more
43 subjects...sci-geosciences is pretty specific. I would expect to find
44 geochemical modeling software (like GEMS for aqueous geochemistry:
45 http://les.web.psi.ch/Software/GEMS-PSI/index.html, and MELTS for
46 magmatic systems: http://penmelts.ess.washington.edu/index.html),
47 seismic data processing software (http://chez.mana.pf/~ldg/), etc in
48 this category, and none of that exists. Note that I'm not whining or
49 complaining that software like this isn't in portage, just that it is
50 the sort of thing I (being a geologist) would expect to see in a
51 category called app-geosciences.
52
53 Steve
56 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list