From: Christian Faulhammer <fauli@g.o>
To: Gentoo Development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Adding --as-needed to LDFLAGS in profiles/default/linux/make.defaults
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 07:23:08
1 Hi,
2
3 Nirbheek Chauhan <nirbheek@g.o>:
4 > What needs to be done now is for someone with lots of CPU power to
5 > grab the list of packages[1], and build them one-by-one (all
6 > versions), adding to a new list all the ebuilds that fail. How to
7 > test:
8 >
9 > LDFLAGS="-Wl,--as-needed" emerge -v1 $atom
10 >
11 > Once we have the list that fails with normal as-needed, we can fix
12 > them, get the fix upstreamed (if possible), and switch the flag on.
13 > This action should probably be accompanied by a news item informing
14 > users about the change, and encouraging them to report the (rare) bug
15 > which might hit them.
16
17 And the stable tree should be safe, too. In general I like the idea.
18
19 V-Li
22 Christian Faulhammer, Gentoo Lisp project
23 <URL:http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/lisp/>, #gentoo-lisp on FreeNode
24
25 <URL:http://www.faulhammer.org/>